Wednesday, October 3, 2007

High School Update

Andrew is finally out of AP English Literature – yes! I had to go to the top – the school principal - to get it accomplished but he is out. Reading Oedipus and sitting around discussing it was not a good fit for Andrew – nothing against the class or the instructor. He is now in regular English IV and he is happy about it.

I was concerned about his schedule from the time he first received it. Actually, before he received his schedule, they had given him a 9th grade schedule. A computer glitch I was told. Plus they lost all of his transcripts. His classes prior to the change were: Physics, Chemistry, Pre-Calculus, AP Human Geography, AP English Literature, Spanish III, World Religion, and PE. That is quite a heavy schedule – one I wouldn’t have attempted when I was in high school. The thing is, he will have more than enough credits to graduate, he doesn’t need all of that science and math for graduation, and he is working half time. I don’t want him to be overwhelmed or discouraged with school. I tried to get him out of some of the classes before the school term began. I called the councilor twice and left voice mails with my concerns and requesting a return call. Laura left a note at the office – but we never received any response. School started and Andrew wanted to let it alone.

But it became clear that AP English Literature was not for Andrew so last week I started trying to get in touch with the councilor again - three phone calls with voice mail messages asking for a call back. I probably made about 12 calls to her number but it became very clear that she never answers her phone. After three days of no response, I called other councilor numbers and the office with no answer. Finally I found the principal’s number and he actually answered. He was very professional and polite and said he would look into it for me. A day later, Andrew was called in and told they were trying to work something out and within a week he was in his new class. I still haven’t heard from the councilor.

Now the question as to why he was put in all of these advanced courses, especially AP courses, when it wasn’t requested and they don’t know anything about him is another issue. It seems to me from talking to others that either Ed White High School or the Duval County Public Schools is trying to pad their statistics by putting as many students in these classes as possible. It’s good for the school or the District but not necessarily for the student. Maybe I’m just being too cynical though.

No comments: